Pupillary diameter in brain death or clinical death: is it reliable?
Keywords:pupils, pupillary diameter, brain death
Dilated pupils are traditionally considered one of the main signs of clinical death and brain death. Although in clinical practice even in biological death pupil size often remains medium. Pupil size evaluation is not included into modern CPR protocols and brain death diagnostics protocols.
Odendaal C.L. Cardiopulmonary-cerebral resuscitation. Southern African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia. 2010. Vol. 16. № 2. P. 45-60. doi: 10.1080/22201173.2010.10872665.
Westphal G.A., Garcia V.D., Lisboa de Souza R. et al. Guidelines for the assessment and acceptance of potential brain-dead organ donors. Rev. bras. ter. intensiva. 2016. Vol. 28. № 3. P. 220-255. doi: 10.5935/0103-507X.20160049.
Fogelholm R., Laru-Sompa R. Brain death and pinpoint pupils. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1988. Vol. 51(7). P. 1002. doi: 10.1136/jnnp.51.7.1002.
Wexler J. Pupil size and irreversible coma. N. Engl. J. Med. 1971. Vol. 285(9). P. 526. doi: 10.1056/nejm197108262850922.
Chandra D.B., Agarwal T.N., Bihari V. Estimation of the time of death by papillary behaviour at different temperatures. Indian Journal of Ophtalmology. 1979. Vol. 27. № 4. P. 208-209.
Sagishima К., Kinoshita Y. Pupil diameter for confirmation of brain death in adult organ donors in Japan. Acute Med. Surg. 2017. Vol. 4(1). P. 19-24. doi: 10.1002/ams2.208.
Jung Е., You К.М., Lee S.J. et al. Continuous measurement of pupil size and light reflex during CPR in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients. Resuscitation. 2017. Vol. 118(Suppl. 1). P. e86-e87. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2017.08.208.
Gilston А. The eyes, the brain, and cardiac resuscitation. Resuscitation. 1994. Vol. 27. № 1. P. 77-79. doi: 10.1016/0300-9572(94)90026-4.
Hazinski M.F. Basic life support: provider manual. American Heart Association. Dallas, USA, 2016. 85 p.
Highlights of the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC. Dallas, USA, 2015. 33 p.
Monsieursa K.G., Nolanc J.P., Bossaerte L.L. et al. European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2015: Section 1. Executive summary. Resuscitation. 2015. Vol. 95. P. 1-80.
Наказ МОЗ України від 23.09.2013 р. № 821 «Про встановлення діагностичних критеріїв смерті мозку та процедури констатації моменту смерті людини» [Електронний ресурс]. 2013. Режим доступу: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1757-13.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.