Successful treatment of severe calcium channel blocker poisoning: a clinical case
Keywords:poisoning by cardiotoxic drugs, nifedipine, antidotes
The article describes the successful experience of treating a female patient with severe poisoning by a mixture of drugs with a predominant cardiotoxic effect. The number of drugs taken was many times higher than the potentially lethal dose. Hemodynamics has been supported by vasopressors and inotropic drugs for a long time, antidotes, sorbents, detoxification agents were used. Due to inadequate spontaneous ventilation, the patient was on artificial lung ventilation for 24 days. After 26 days in the intensive care unit, she was transferred to the therapeutic department in a stable state and without neurological deficit. We believe that this material will be useful for intensive care physicians when providing emergency care to patients in such situations.
Власик Л.І., Проданчук М.Г., Недашківський С.М., Шейман Б.С. та ін. Протоколи надання медичної допомоги при гострих отруєннях (продовження, розділ «Антидотна терапія», 2-га частина). Современные проблемы токсикологии. 2009. № 3–4. С. 80-82.
Марков Ю.І., Недашківський С.М., Лоскутов О.А. Тлумачний словник з клінічної токсикології. 2018. С. 152.
Недашківський С.М. Сучасні аспекти отруєння блокаторами кальцієвих каналів. Therapia. Український медичний вісник. 2009. № 6–7(38). С. 57-60.
Недашківський С.М., Шейман Б.С., Галушко О.А., Богомол А.Г. Медицина невідкладних станів. 2020. Т. 16. № 3. С. 69-77.
Daniel M. Lindberg, MD. Consensus Guidelines for Calcium Channel Blocker Poisoning. Crit. Care Med. 2016 oct 3; [e-pub].
Maude St-Onge, Kurt Anseeuw, Frank Lee Cantrell et al. Experts Consensus Recommendations for the Management of Calcium Channel Blocker Poisoning in Adults. Crit. Care Med. 2017 march. 45(3). e306-e315.
Rebanta K. Chakraborty, Richard J. Hamilton. Calcium Channel Blocker Toxicity. Steward Medical/Good Samaritan Medical 2 Drexel University [e-pub]. Last Update: 2021 february 9.
Rietjens1 S.J., de Lange D.W., Donker D.W., Meulenbelt J. Practical recommendations for calcium channel antagonist poisoning. The Netherlands Journal of Medicine. 2016 february. 74. 2.
Varpula Tero, Rapola Janne, Sallisalmi Marko, Kurola Jouni. Treatment of Serious Calcium Channel Blocker Overdose with Levosimendan, a Calcium Sensitizer. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2009 march. 108. 3. 790-792.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.